Wednesday, March 20, 2019


Get to know writer & software genius RICK CHIANTARETTO... 

Rick Chiantaretto


NK - You're a writer of fiction and also a software genius. It's unusual to be both a word and a visual artist. How do those two careers get along within the same human being?

RC – I’ve always joked that my day isn’t complete until I’ve exercised both halves of my brain. My day job is incredibly logical—I’m a software engineer who develops large-scale commerce solutions for some of the world’s leading retailers. It’s all about problem-solving and solution architecting. But I also need an inspiring, creative outlet. I used writing as an escape from the worlds of math and science pretty early on in my schooling. I didn’t fall in love with writing until my senior year in high school, where I had an incredible A.P. English teacher.

I feel like graphic design and website work help unite my two interests. I get to be logical on the back end, but with the caveat that the finished project has to be a visual delight, polished, and user-friendly.

NK - What do you love most about graphic design, and what do you love most about fiction writing?

RC – I’ll be honest here: I think these two loves feed into two sides of my ego. I love being the source of information and the person people ask for when they need a problem solved. I like being the expert and the recognition that comes with that. At the same time, I also love entertaining people and am a story-teller at heart.

NK - You recently moved from Costa Rica back to the U.S. How has that move affected your work and your writing?

RC – I thought I would be extremely creative in Costa Rica. We had this amazing opportunity to experience life in a foreign country and I thought it would inspire me to move toward a slower way of life. It was a dream come true but ended up being a challenge for me creatively. I’m still not sure I understand why, but I’m glad to be back in the USA. I’m sure all of the Costa Rica experiences will become inspiration over the course of my life (in fact, some of their urban legends are just itching to be written), but while I was there I found myself preoccupied with my day job. I think maybe my creativity was zapped by things like finding creative ways to get internet to my house (true story)!

NK - You're busy. If you have any spare time, what do you do with it?

RC - I've often been accused of having done more in my life than the average person my age, but if I were completely honest I'd have to tell you my secret: I'm really 392. I enjoy the occasional Bloody Mary, although a Bloody Kathy or Susan will suffice. Mostly, I just try to keep a low profile so people don't figure out who I REALLY am.

NK - Lastly, can you mention a few projects where people can see your design work and read your fiction?

RC – Of course! Thanks for the opportunity! In the fiction world, I’m most proud of my Crossing Death trilogy (I’m working on the last book, Death of the Soul, now). Death of the Body (book 1) and Death of the Spirit (book 2) are available on Amazon. This is the series that finally made me feel like I can call myself an author, and the feedback I’ve gotten on them blows my mind. I also have short stories published in Nevermore! and a twisted fairy tale anthology titled Twice Upon a Time.

I wrote my first novel while still in high school. It was a YA vampire tale, Façade of Shadows. The first professional to ever write a blurb for it was YOU, Nancy! I don’t think you realize how exciting that was for a high school kid to have his work taken seriously by someone he looked up to for so long. I’m glad we’ve kept in touch.

My latest graphics/engineering project is my new website, tarotfellow.com. This website marks the first time I’ve brought my creative vision, engineering skills, personality (it’s a little kitschy, just like me), spirituality (there’s a whole ‘nother interview in there), and writing together into one project. Hopefully, it’s going to be a huge, ongoing part of my life (and it’s probably not in a state today where I should even be talking about it, but I’m excited for the potential). I also designed my website: ricktheauthor.com 
And these: 
www.streamline.rocks
psychicronalafae.com
nancykilpatrick.com 


Rick's Latest Novels








Rick's Short Stories




2 comments: